La Papanoelada motera de Barcelona ha sido reclamada por La Sindicatura de Greuges para que se tomen acciones al respecto.

The Office of the Ombudsman has urged, for the second consecutive year, the Barcelona City Council to prevent this year’s motorized Papanoelada, scheduled for Sunday, December 17, in order to “safeguard the various affected rights”. The organizing association, however, claims that it is a “static gathering” and that they are “making a serious mistake”. The City Council has explained that the event has “the permission to occupy the public road in Hospitalet de Llobregat” and that, in the event that the Christmas motorcyclists travel through the streets of the Catalan capital, the Urban Guard will make a record of it.

In a statement, the Ombudsman has warned about the effects of the gathering on noise and pollution. It involves a large number of motorcycles, which “generates a great environmental impact, a mobility problem, and health affects, as well as a security risk”. Last year, the charitable initiative brought together more than 1,500 motorcyclists, dressed in Christmas costumes and decorations. The march caused the noise levels to reach around 85 decibels in some sections of the route. 10 to 15 db more than the previous Sunday, according to the People’s Defender of Barcelona.

“Our version has nothing to do with the previous one,” says the Women’s Association of Sant Josep, which is organizing the event for the first time. “It is a static and charitable event, with musical performances, food, and toy collection,” they say. The truth is that the motorized Papanoelada has changed organizers, now being managed by “a feminist association”. “We are not motorcyclists, we just want to carry out a charitable initiative.” They also denounce that their promotional poster has been modified and edited to place it next to a route that could actually reach Barcelona. “We have nothing to do with that supposed itinerary in progress,” they assure.

A year ago, the Ombudsman of Barcelona, David Bondia, already demanded, without success, the halt of the Christmas motorized parade. Now, the Office of the Ombudsman has requested from the city government the status of the complaints made 12 months ago and “the planned actions to prevent the march”. In this regard, from the City Council led by Jaume Collboni, they have assured that “special attention will be paid to the impacts that could occur in traffic”. Similarly, the municipality will file complaints in case of infringements.

In addition, the Municipal Council has wanted to remind that “the Department of the Interior is responsible for guaranteeing the rights of assembly and demonstration”. From the Barcelona City Council, they confirm, as pointed out by the Office of the Ombudsman in their statement, that a possible ongoing concentration would not have the permission of the Generalitat’s Directorate General for Security Administration.

The 2023 Catalan edition will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Joan Carles I Avenue, in Hospitalet. “Once they arrive dressed as Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus, they must turn off their engines,” says the organization. After various charitable initiatives, with the Christmas season, the event “will be considered finished”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *